Find It Here: Golly
Golly’s key features:
- Supports bounded and unbounded universes, with cells of up to 256 states.
- Supports multiple algorithms, including Bill Gosper‘s super fast hashlife algorithm.
- Many different types of CA are included: John von Neumann‘s 29-state CA, Wolfram’s 1D rules, WireWorld, Generations, Langton’s Loops, Paterson’s Worms, etc.
- The RuleTable and RuleTree algorithms let you plug in new rules.
- Responsive even while generating or garbage collecting.
- Reads RLE, macrocell, Life 1.05/1.06, dblife, and MCell files.
- Can also read common graphic formats: BMP, PNG, GIF, TIFF.
- Can extract patterns, rules and scripts from zip files.
- Can download patterns, rules and scripts from online archives.
- Includes a state-of-the-art pattern collection.
- Can paste in patterns from the clipboard.
- Unlimited undo/redo.
- Configurable keyboard shortcuts.
- Auto fit option keeps patterns sized to the window.
- Full screen option (no menu/status/tool/scroll bars).
- Supports multiple layers, including cloned layers.
- HTML-based help with an integrated Life Lexicon.
- Scriptable via Perl or Python.
- Runs on Windows (2000+), Mac OS X (10.4+) and Linux (with GTK+ 2.x).